So... I can only apologise for not being online as much as I'd like to have been recently. My job has been really busy and I've had to deal with a lot of 'life' issues. But I'm still a music fan. Still a fan of hip hop. And I'm still a fan of the P. But, today is a pretty special Monday morning. Guess what? It's been 10 years since I set up this site.
wait. wait. wait.
IT'S BEEN 10 YEARS! since I started this website.
A decade. Wow! ... Ten years ago I was still in school and I set up this website as part geek mini-project because I was bored in the summer and part as a music fan who somehow thought it was needed. Since then I've grown, travelled, studied architecture for 8 years, been learning and working. It's good to look back!
The forum started up after a few months and it's been amazing ever since. A real little community of like-minded heads and genuine, genuine cool people. THANK YOU!!
I've been lucky enough to see some cool stuff happen because of all this:
- see PUTS play live in London, Bristol, Brighton, Cardiff... and get to hang out with Thes and KK (Abbey Road!), Ugly Duckling, Time Machine and of course Giant Panda (what up!)
- meet awesome forum heads including SF Knight, Simon "Samoorye" and have great things back and forth in the mail with dedicated legends like SLC Head, jacko, DJ J3, Dusty Diggin' and Sactown
- see DJ Alibi get signed up by Thes, and since put out two awesome album releases
- have people send me amazing fan artwork. Wow! You wouldn't believe. I'm gonna post this stuff online again!!
- the ridiculous Stepfather release sticker/stencil competition
- the infamous, talent-filled winner-stays-on beats battles! remember?
- deep hip hop conversations ranging from pop-rants, to weed politics
- set up my own side-blog 'yoyopop' for a while and interviewed interesting musicians like Damu and graffiti artist Dave the Chimp before they blew up
- make a 10 years of the P anniversary poster
- unearthed a stash of American Men Vol 1 CDs!!!!!!
- Thes One's ebay shop! WHO HAS THAT mp3 PLAYER!!
- and loooooads more sh1t I've forgotten about
And the website itself has changed loads in that time:
- scruffily coded enthusiasm-filled startup
- encyclopaedic P knowledge base
- the mellowed-out Stepfather site
- the LA sky, side-scrolling Fun DMC-era site (my favourite)
- the pared-down, bit of teaser info current edition
and there were probably a few versions in between those too. But now I'm taking it back real simple. I've set up a tumblr with all the content dropping down (which I'm gonna link to the main site) and will be slowly filling it with random/cool/hilarious sh1t decaying from the past decade on my harddrive.
And I want everyone to contribute! Who has a photo from the P Army meet from Chicago(?) a few years back? Who has a photo of their mega merch stash? SEND ME ALL YOUR STUFF. yoyopo (@) putsonline .co .uk
THANK YOU ALL. YOU'RE THE BEST. P ARMY FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!