There's 6 because I couldn't decide on 5. Besides, 5 is arbitrary anyway.
Top 6 Of 2014:
1. People Under The Stairs - 12 Step Program. (Obviously).
2. Swingin' Utters - Fistful Of Hollow. (Punk rock legends do punk songs mixed with country-blues. How could you go wrong?)
3. NehrivianDOOM - Sound Of The Son. (Can't get enough of this album, I don't care how short it is.)
4. Freddie Gibbs and Madlib - (Cocaine) Piñata. (Madlib kills it once again. He would've gotten my vote for best album of 2013 for Yessir, Whatever.)
5. Christopher Owens - A New Testament. (2nd solo album by the former lead singer of Girls does a country-gospel album about love and atheism. Did I mention he grew up in a cult?)
6. The Interrupters - The Interrupters. (Quick-paced ska-punk album featuring blistering vocals by Aimee Allen (aka Aimee Interrupter), produced and co-written by my favorite artist ever, the illustrious Tim Armstrong. Try Family.)
Honorable Mention (releases that weren't technically albums but were still great)(In no particular order):
1. Dante Elephante - The German Aquatics EP. (New indie-surf rock band out of Santa Barbara. Highly recommend checking them out. And is it just me, or do they have the best band name ever?)
2. Curren$y - The Drive-In Theatre Mixtape. (Super chill beats with Godfather quotes mixed in. Enough said. Try Vintage Vineyard, $ Migraine, E.T., and M.P.R.)
3. Jonwayne - Cassette On Vinyl. (Collection of tracks from his Cassette 1-3 mixtape series. He's probably my favorite lyricist right now. And this release has my favorite Jonwayne track Passing Fancies.)
What's your list?
P.S. Have yet to hear from anyone about trading my extra copy of Big Sky Shakedown.